Thursday, April 12, 2012

Sabbath in a trout stream... or wherever

I have a plaque on my office wall that says, “Fishing is not a matter of life or death.  It is much more important than that.”  Well, the first of this week I slipped away for a spiritual retreat that included this activity of eternal significance.

Jesus once instructed his disciples to get away to a quiet place and get some rest. (Mark 6:31-32)

I’m thinking that, as a good Rabbi, Jesus understood the true meaning of Sabbath.  Sabbath is about rest, renewal, restoration and recreation (re-creation).  I don’t know about you but I think that sometimes church people need to “do” church less and "be" church more.

That may sound weird coming from a pastor, but I’m pretty convinced that in our Western world we do not practice Sabbath the way God intended.  For most of us it’s not about rest, it’s about activity, it’s not about renewal and restoration, it’s about being spiritually, emotionally and physically drained.  It’s not about re-creation, it’s about saturation; more doing and less being. 

I think maybe we should load everybody up in buses one Sunday morning and take them all to the nearest trout stream, or picnic area or bowling alley or pool hall… excuse me, “billiard room” or wherever you can rest, wherever you are restored, wherever you are re-created and there observance of Sabbath.

I’m just sayin.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! I was talking with someone last week about true rest and the other person stated that I must get plenty of rest when I'm stuck in bed and I had to argue that the two are very different and I think you illustrated it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being bedridden is NOT very restful! I've been on "no duty" twice this year and was exhausted after both...

    Now riding the motorcycle for 5 or 6 hours, spending an evening with your daughter and son-in-law, then having breakfast with a good friend before riding for another 6 hours...THAT's restful!

    ReplyDelete