Thursday, May 10, 2012

Finding Closure after Amendment One

A couple weeks ago I wrote a blog about the Marriage Amendment.  I didn’t really expect to generate the volume of feedback that I received.  I was just trying to give words to a different perspective that I thought some others might share.

Since then many of you have responded through comments on the blog or emails.  This week I felt like I needed to find some closure (for me and you).

Some of you have been very supportive.  It always helps, I think, when you express a particular perspective and others offer some affirmation.  Thank you for that! 

Some of you have offered a different perspective with the obvious intention of bringing something positive to the conversation.  I am extremely grateful for your contribution as well.  It helps me when fellow Christ followers shine light from a different angle.

Some of you seem to think that I’m a false prophet plunging head first into destruction and taking others with me. As bitter as your words taste to me, I’m sure your intentions are good (sort of like when my mother – or my wife – force me to drink nasty tasting medicine).

In some way, I think every comment has been helpful, but it is surprising how intense our discussions can sometimes become. 

Maybe we should not be surprised.  After all, Jesus became extremely intense when he entered the Temple in Jerusalem.  He pretty much – as my parents would say – “pitched a fit.”  He overturned tables, made a whip and drove people out, publically castigated prominent religious leaders for altering the original purpose of his Father’s house.

To the extent that I have been that kind of religious leader I apologize. 

Whatever your perspective on Amendment One was, my prayer is that all the followers of Jesus in our community can come together to share his love with human beings who desperately need it.

Blessings!  

2 comments:

  1. I can imagine what your previous post said; you are a blessing--and you know that! Thank you for having the courage to share the blessing you've been bestowed to share; I know it's not easy. One short point; I fear when we feel we have the 'right' to limit God's Love as if we are the Supreme Judge (i.e. the Supreme Court) and rule on what is 'justified' and/or right in His Sight. I love my God for his limitless ability to love, and forgive, when I know my eyes and my heart cannot--that is why I have faith in Him. He has limitless faith and love in me; otherwise, He would not continue to invest in me or others I love around me. He will not fail me; I will not fail Him by limiting my love of others. I will forever be a faithful follower of loving my Brother and Sister--that is my only reward and mission. Thanks Pastor Rob for being a Rock of His Foundation; I will always share my 'real estate' with you Friend. God Bless you and yours--

    ReplyDelete