Thursday, June 21, 2012

How about them Democrats… and Republicans?

Growing up I would sometimes here someone refer to my father’s side of the family as “dirty dog democrats.”  Which means that my dad, and presumably most of the Heltons, would vote for a dirty dog if the dog ran on the democratic ticket.  I should include this disclaimer; although I believe this is in fact true of my father, I can’t really say the same for all Heltons everywhere.
 

I’m not really in the political know, but I’m guessing that there are also dirty dog republicans around.  (Or maybe, for the sake of alliteration we should call them “rabid raccoon republicans” – maybe not.)  Either way, these (hopefully) exaggerated labels are intended to convey a very unexaggerated reality.  In the political world (the religious world too) we tend to gravitate toward extremes. 
                                                           
In our world politics polarizes people.  (Please forgive even more alliteration.)

Here’s my question though.  Is it really possible for the other side of the aisle to be wrong about everything all the time?  Is it realistic for me to hold to the belief that my party is always right? 

Could it be that democrats could learn some things from republicans?  Could it be that republicans could learn some things from democrats?

The political ads certainly don’t give us that impression do they?  When was the last time you saw a political commercial in which the opponent (republican or democrat) is shown in a positive light while patriotic music plays in the background?  The viewer hears the sincere voice of the candidate running against him.  “I want to begin this campaign by commending my opponent for the good and wise decisions he has made.  On some issues I agree with his perspective.  He has proven himself capable in many ways…”

I might even vote for a person who had the guts to say something like that! 

And surely it must be true.  Surely there are democrats who have good ideas.  Surely there are republicans who really care.  What if we started with the assumption that the other team is not evil?  What if we refused to demonize our opponents?  What if we were really, I mean really, bipartisan?

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen any time soon.  Aren’t you sick of the ridiculous rhetoric?  Aren’t you tired of candidates insulting one another while they insult your intelligence?  Unfortunately some people just give up on the political process all together.  

By the way, I think many people are tired of religious leaders doing the same thing?  Liberals and conservatives draw lines in the sand.  We build our defenses and we dig in for the battle.  The war of words rages while thinking people look on shaking their heads, wondering why we can’t get along.  Or even worse, they give up on the Christian religion all together.

But I guess that’s another blog for another day.

2 comments:

  1. That's one thing I commend Scott Walker for doing. During his victory speech following the recall, the crowd started to boooo Tom Barrett. He cut them off, reprimanded them, and commended Mayor Barrett.

    <>< Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. If they would only use the good sense you can see in every 4-H livestock class judging. The Judge starts at the bottom and points out all the good points of contestant then moves to the contestant he places above that one and gives the points where he was stronger than the lower placed contestant until he gets to the winner and must give "reasons" on each decision.

    One of my "reasons" to place candidate Obama over candidate Rommney is his well documented business practise of outsourceing jobs, entire companies overseas. The choice is pretty black and white.

    ReplyDelete