Friday, July 27, 2012

Revenge and the shooting in Aurora Colorado?

Every parent of more than one child has had a conversation like this.  Question: “Why did you hit your brother?”  Answer:  (You know what’s coming) “He hit me first!”

Deep in the human psyche is the ingrained, knee jerk kind of tendency to get revenge; what we might call “retributional violence.” 

In the Bible we read about how the law of Israel put limits on retributional violence.  Apparently the human tendency to react with violence is so strong that laws were needed to restrain it.  So, for example, if someone wounded you and you lost your eye or a limb you could only wound them to the same extent.  (Exodus 21:24)

This actually seems like a pretty good system.  I could see a parent saying to his kid, “okay, he hit you on the shoulder so you hit him back on the shoulder… but not in the eye!”  (Actually I think in a moment of weakness I may have done that with my two children years ago before I was more spiritually mature.)

It seems reasonable, fair, the right thing.  But then Jesus came along and messed it all up.  He said stuff like…
-  “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’  But I tell you; Do not resist an evil person.  If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.”  (Matthew 5:38-39)
-  “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’  But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven”. (Matthew 5:43-44)

Sadly, I think that many who profess to be Christians, are moving away from the teachings of Jesus and reverting back to retributional violence.

If you’re on facebook you know this is true.  Some time ago I saw a post on an evangelical Christian’s facebook page expressing his desire to shoot illegal immigrants.

In an interview with Alan Colmes a former vice president of the Southern Baptist Convention stated that he prayed for the death of the president of the United Sates. 

Apparently, the justification for this kind of vitriol grows out of the fairly recent teaching that all scripture should be interpreted basically the same way.

So when the Psalmist describes how happy he would be to dash the heads of his enemies’ infants against the rocks, (Psalm 137:8-9) some would interpret this ancient Hebrew poetry the same way they would interpret the teachings of Jesus.  

This seems to be a growing trend, so much so that a term has been coined to describe it.  It’s referred to as “Bible based hate speech.”    

This idea was endorsed (perhaps unintentionally) by Southern Baptists when The Baptist Faith and Message was revised in 2000.  The Baptist Faith and Message is a document originally drafted in 1925 with the intention of describing some commonly held beliefs and distinctives among Baptists.  It was revised in 1962 and again in 2000.  The 2000 revision removed one statement that I think is critical to proper biblical interpretation.  The statement that was removed simply says, “The criterion by which the Bible is to be interpreted is Jesus Christ.”  (page 18 of the 1962 edition)

I am a Baptist and I love my Baptist family.  I also know that in this context I am oversimplifying the issue.  But I believe that the basic argument is valid.  For thousands of years Christians interpreted scripture through the filter of the teachings and actions of Jesus Christ.  For some that filter has been removed.

So what does all this mean for followers of Jesus?  Perhaps we can reflect on a specific application.  

On July 20th, during a midnight showing of “The Dark Knight Rises” in Aurora Colorado, the unthinkable happened.  I know I don’t need to replay the details for you.  You already know.  Twelve innocent human beings are dead, including a six year old little girl named Veronica.  Another 58 were wounded, some critically.  And the entire country watches the TV in stunned silence.

So how will the Christian community respond?  What example will we set?  Will we call for the death of the perpetrator?  Will we go on facebook and describe in some detail the kind of revenge we pray for?

I have to admit that I experience some of the same emotions that most other people do when I watch the reports about the shooting in Aurora.  Anger wells up inside me and part of me (a really big part) wants to exact revenge. 

Although it is natural to feel this way, it needs to be stated clearly that this is not the way of Jesus.  According to the teachings and the example of Jesus Christ, retributional violence is simply not an option available to followers of Jesus.  I need to say it again.  Christians don’t get to do revenge! 

We are called upon to actually follow the example of Jesus.  One dark Friday his enemies took him outside the city of Jerusalem and crucified him.  After being nailed to a cross Jesus looked out on those who had given full vent to their violent rage, who had beaten him mercilessly, whipped him ruthlessly and crucified him unjustly. 

And as he looked out over that crowd he did not follow the example of countless other Jewish victims of crucifixion by praying for the death of his enemies.  He prayed, “Father forgive them for they know not what they do.” (Luke 23:34)

When you and I intentionally throw down our squirt guns of revenge and take up the powerful artillery of love, then and only then will we win over evil. 

1 comment:

  1. Great post!

    Apparently when I was very young, my mother and I had a conversation that went like this:
    Katie: I hitted my sister.
    Mom: Why did you hit your sister?
    Katie: I had to.

    <>< Katie

    ReplyDelete