Thursday, May 16, 2013

Perceptions about Christians – Part I

"Christians are homophobic, right wing, hypocrites."

I read that statement somewhere recently (can’t remember exactly where).  Then I saw a similar statement in a facebook post. 

When I see statements like this I can dismiss them as anti-Christian slurs made by prejudiced people.  Or I can reflect on them as open-mindedly as possible.  What if some people honestly, without prejudice or animosity, think that Christians really are… homophobic, right wing, hypocrites? 

So in the spirit of open-minded reflection let’s think about these “accusations.”  We’ll start with the last and work our way to the first.  This week we’ll think about why we are sometimes accused of being hypocrites.  Next week “right wing” and the week after that “homophobic;” assuming I stay on track.

So how could an unbiased, intelligent, well-intentioned person get the impression that Christians are hypocrites?

You may know that the Greek word translated “hypocrite” comes from ancient Greek dramas in which the actors (Greek “hupokrites”) wore masks during the performance.  So we have traditionally thought about hypocrisy as sort of wearing a mask, playing a part.  We think of “hypocrites” in the church as those who act like they are good when they really know just how bad they are.

But Jesus wasn’t Greek, he was Jewish.  And it is unlikely that, when he called the religious leaders of his day “hypocrites,” he had the Greek actors in mind.  I don’t think he was saying, you act like you’re good when you really know that you are bad. 

Don’t you think that would make all of us hypocrites?  We all have masks that we wear.  I know I do.  If I revealed all the evil my heart produces it would be unbearable, for me and those to whom I revealed it.

Franklin Young, who was a professor at Princeton University, (he died in 2010) said that Jesus wasn’t critical of the religious leaders for “simulating goodness… On the contrary, it is because they are so self-righteously convinced of their goodness that he castigates them.”  (Interpreters Dictionary of the Bible vol. 2 page 669)

Stated another way, I may not be labeled “hypocrite” because I, like all people, tend to cover up my sin.  I may get the label because I really don’t think I have much sin to cover up… at least not as much as you do.  And that means, deep down, I think I’m better than you.  According to Jesus, that makes me a hypocrite. 

Stated yet another way, hypocrites are people who lack humility. 

Maybe some people call Christians hypocrites wrongly.  And maybe some Christians earn the label.  Maybe the Christian community (which includes me) needs to embrace humility more intentionally and confess our hypocrisy. 

What would it look like if we did that?  What if we put that on billboards beside the highways?  On behalf of all Christians everywhere, we’re sorry for our hypocrisy!  What would our non-Christian neighbors say about us then?  Some might slander us still.  But maybe we would win over some others.  Maybe it would be worth the effort.

I’m happy to hear what you think.  

No comments:

Post a Comment