Friday, August 10, 2012

Questions about Chick-fil-A Fan Fare

Now that the Chick-fil-A thing has had a chance to die down a little bit I thought I might reflect on some questions I have.  Maybe you can share some insight. (If you don’t know about the “chick-fil-a thing” stop reading now!)

Truth is, I couldn't resist… I tried.   For those of you who are just tired of reading about it, I totally understand.  So if you would rather read a blog that has pics of cute puppies or fluffy kittens that can get their whole body inside a toilet paper roll, be my guest.

For the rest of you who can’t look away from a wreck on the highway, here are a few questions from a fellow rubberneck.

1.      What were we thinking?
I mean that question literally.  When Christians responded the way we responded (whatever way that was) what was actually going on in our heads?

I like Dan Cathy.  I think that he is an honest person.  He hasn’t yet learned how to play politics.  I hope he doesn’t.  He doesn’t seem interested in giving interviews without actually saying something. 

So when he stated his views about traditional marriage I don’t think he was trying to be controversial.  I think he was just being honest.  I don’t know Cathy, but if I had to guess I would say that he probably wasn’t looking for the kind of public attention his comments received… from either side.  I’m guessing that the fan fare was not only unsolicited.  It was unwanted.   But I’m just guessing.

So when the Christian community turned out to patronize Chick-fil-A, I wonder what we were thinking.  Were we thinking, “We’ll support him!”  Or were we thinking, “We’ll show them.”  Seriously… honestly… what were we thinking?

I guess it's fine to show our support for a fellow Christian by giving him our patronage.  The gospel writers, however, seem to go to great lengths to describe Jesus as a bipartisan patron.  He ate at feasts hosted by the most prominent religious leaders.  He also ate and drank at the parties thrown by the most publically ridiculed sinners. 

I think motives are important. So I think followers of Jesus should not only ask, “What should we do?”  I think we also have to ask, “Why are we doing it?”

So what were we thinking… what were our motives?  Whatever our response, did it reflect the heart of Jesus?  Did it demonstrate his love?  Did it share his story?  Did it move people closer to him or push them further away?

In the middle of all of the hoopla around Chick-fil-A I heard about a man who was standing in line to buy his meal on “Chick-fil-A appreciation day.”  Of course there were also protestors there as well.  While waiting to be served the man yelled at the protestors, “Eat more chicken!”  So here’s my question, “What was he thinking?”

2.      Who do we think we are?
I mean that question literally too.  When we look in the mirror who or what do we see?  Here’s another way to ask the question.  Do we view the world in “us and them” categories? 

In my opinion, one thing that the biblical revelation makes really clear is that there is no “us and them.”  There is only us. 

This world is populated by broken people who, deep in our being, long for healing, redemption, restoration.  To put it another way, we are all sinners. To quote the apostle Paul, (who was, in part, quoting several Jewish poems/Psalms)

“What shall we conclude then?  Are we any better?  Not at all!  We have already made the charge that Jews and Gentiles alike are all under sin.  As it is written:  ‘There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God.  All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one.’”  (Romans 3:9-12)  You gotta love Paul!    

So when we think about who we are as human beings what is our default way of viewing ourselves? Do we see one group of people who all struggle in our sin?  Or do we tend to divide people into categories of our own creation.

The truth is, if I understand the Bible correctly, we are all sinners.  I’m a sinner.  You’re a sinner (sorry to be the one to break it to you).  Your sin, whatever it is, is no worse than mine.  Mine is no worse than yours.  We are all people who all need God’s forgiveness and healing which is freely extended to all of us.

To be honest, I sometimes wonder if we miss the healing of God because we don’t really see ourselves as patients.  Who do we think we are?  

3.      What about next time?
Here’s what I mean by this question.  The next time the Christian community has the opportunity to make a very public statement about a very public controversy, what do we want to say?  What will we do next time?

What messages will our fellow sinner citizens get?  Will they be blown away by how gracious we are?  Will they be captivated by our warmth, our love, our kindness, our gentleness, our compassion?  Will they be uncomfortably drawn to Jesus Christ, so much so that they are compelled to start asking questions about him?  Will they be troubled by how humble followers of Jesus are?  Will we all have a God moment together?

I don’t know… I’m just asking.

7 comments:

  1. I was supporting the Christian definition of marriage, the same way I was when I put a Vote "Yes" to the NC Amendment 1. I was not relating a feeling of hate toward anyone, I was standing up to be counted with those of similar morals and values. By supporting Chick-Fil-A we let the world know that "publicly correct" was not morally right and a Christian business would not be hurt one bit by protesters and boycotts of those who would demand that we would submit to the world's definition of what is acceptable. Just my thoughts. Yes, if the world tries to push another Christian business into accepting mainstream ideals or to denounce their Christian values I would absolutely stand with that business to let the world know my feelings and show my loyalties to my faith and not their "opinions".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey anonymous... by being anonymous on your post, does it not show 2 things:
    1) you're afraid to publicly put your name because you might have friends who disagree with you... or might be gay and this would make you look bad to them..
    2) You're not as good a christian as you claim to be... kinda showed it with your post. Do you even really know what amendment 1 was and what it did to all non-married couples?

    If I were a christian (I'm an atheist), I'd actually prolly go to this church to hear Rob preach.of all his blogs I've read, he seems to be the kinda preacher to follow.

    Thanks to Rob for at least following what Jesus preached (well, he nice stuff at least).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I would like to listen to your thoughts on spirituality some time over a cup of coffee. I feel like I can be a pretty good listener.

      Delete
  3. Danny Warlick, ChristianAugust 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM

    My name is Danny Warlick. I am not a member of the above Church and that was the only reason I posted anonymously. You, as a self proclaimed atheist, do not warrant a response from me in regards to this post, other than to say that by such a proclamation I would ask anyone reading your post consider the source.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the writer of this post, may I share just a couple thoughts to those who have posted comments. I want to thank you all for your contributions to the conversation. My hope is that good will come from open, respectful dialogue between people of good will.

    Billy, I would welcome the opportunity to sit down with you over a cup of coffee sometime and hear your views on spirituality. I promise to be a good listener.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danny, you did however respond on Facebook to your failure of trying to look intelligent. Im trying hard not to insult you, but you obviously dont know enough about the religion to speak for it... so im done talking to you. Most atheists know more about the Bible than a large majority of Christians...
    Rob, I'd be glad to sit with you some day... not a coffee drinker but I'm sure they serve smoothies :-)
    As far as spirituality, what can you consider spirituality for someone who doesnt believe in the magic man above? I guess my connection would be to the universe and that's it. I really appreciate your point of view on things- amend 1 and chic-fil-a.... I have questions for someone like yourself that no one has been able to answer, I've always gotten the "I'll pray about it and get back to you" than never hear anything. Obviously prayer doesn't/hasn't worked. No offense.

    ReplyDelete